BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB)- Clean-up should be finished at the Millard Fillmore Hospital site in about 30 to 45 days. The Planning Board has not approved the design plans for the facility that will take its place.
Developers want a new Canterbury Woods retirement community but people living nearby told News 4 its design doesn’t fit the neighborhood.
“This design is not befitting such a historic site,” said Daniel Sack, who lives about half a mile from the site. “I hope the Planning Board will reject the design.”
Sack was one of more than 60 people who gathered Monday night at the Burchfield Penney Art Center to see the latest design plans for the retirement center.
The Planning Board tabled the project in December until the public could meet with the developer. Over the last month the Canterbury Woods architects have made aesthetic changes, including altering the designs so the exterior of the building has 50 percent more brick instead of metal panels. Changes were also made to accentuate the central tower.
“We feel very strongly that this design is both sensitive to the neighborhood, the historic nature of the neighborhood, which is supremely important but also is architecturally forward thinking as well,” said Robert Wallace, CEO of Episcopal Church Home and Affiliates.
Community members disagree.
“The move away from metal panels shows there is some listening to the community but that doesn’t solve the problem completely because it’s still brick on a design that’s not appropriate for the circle,” said Gretchen Cercone, president of the Lancaster Ave. Block Club.
The retirement facility will be the first building to go up at the vacant Gates Circle location.
“If we sit back and say this design is okay, we will have no leg to stand on when building after building is approved after this that is not appropriate for the historic neighborhood,” said Cercone.
The designs are set to go back before the Planning Board on Monday, January 11. If the board approves the design, Cercone told News 4 they could take legal action.
We asked Wallace if there would be changes made to the plans based on the community’s feedback.
“We’re always going to look to engage with the community so the short answer to that is yeah, we would continue to engage,” said Wallace. “We want to put the best product forward to the community and the Planning Board.”
The Canterbury Woods team said they’re on track to break ground in February.
